Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mortgage payments on my "under water" home are no longer affordable due to financial hardship. What can I do?

Question: I have been paying my mortgage on-time for many years. Now I am late on my payments by one month as I have ended up in financial hardship due to certain events in my personal life. Very soon I will not be able to afford my home. What can I do? I owe approximately $225K and my home is now only worth $200K. In the past, I tried to modify my mortgage and after a year of loan modification process I was denied.

Response: Whether you qualify for loan modification depends on various factors, such as gross monthly household income, debt to income ratio, net present value of the home. On the mortgage of $225K, you could likely qualify for HAMP loan modification (if your servicer participates in HAMP) if your gross monthly income is approximately $3K. However, if you are still unable to afford your monthly payments or you have insufficient income, then you should likely consider a short sale.  Consider contacting a knowledgeable attorney, who could advise you on options that would work best for you.

In the legal blog, Attorney Svetlana Kaplun addresses typical questions our firm has received from our clients, or come across from homeowners related to foreclosure, foreclosure defense, loan modification and bankruptcy topics.

The information contained in the legal blog of Attorney Svetlana Kaplun is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject matter. Please read our full disclaimer or contact the Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C. by telephone at 718-444-1115 for more information.
Copyright © 2015 Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C.

modification, making home affordable, hamp, mortgage modification, harp refinance, making homes affordable, modifications, home affordable modification program, home affordable refinance program, hamp program, home loan modification, loan modification guidelines, foreclosures, foreclosure listings, foreclosure homes, mers, foreclosure settlement, foreclosure homes for sale, free foreclosure listings, foreclosure home, deed in lieu of foreclosure, foreclosure process, how foreclosure works, home foreclosure, foreclosure radar, bank foreclosure, home foreclosures, foreclosure listing, hud foreclosure, foreclosure laws, short sale vs foreclosure, stop foreclosure, totally free foreclosure home listings, foreclosure help, free government home foreclosure listing, free listing foreclosure home sale, free foreclosure listings with pictures, fannie mae foreclosure, independent foreclosure review, lawyers, power of attorney, personal injury attorney, attorneys, power of attorney form, durable power of attorney, power of attorney forms, criminal attorney, attorney search, medical power of attorney, free power of attorney, bankruptcy attorney, power of attorney template, power of attorney form download, durable power of attorney form, free power of attorney forms, general power of attorney, free printable power attorney form, lasting power of attorney, tax attorney, free power attorney forms, divorce attorney, ace attorney, disability attorney, attorney jobs, enduring power of attorney, attorney at law, patent attorney, free power of attorney forms to print, real estate attorney, injury lawyer, personal injury lawyer, defense lawyer, criminal defense lawyer, the lawyer, accident lawyer, a lawyer, criminal lawyer, motorcycle accident lawyer, rocket lawyer, bankruptcy lawyer, divorce lawyer, ask a lawyer, find a lawyer, lawyer referral, car accident lawyer, family lawyer, lawyer search, lawyer find, lawyer ratings, lawyer referral service, immigration lawyer, dui lawyer