Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mortgage on my Foreclosed Home Remained Active in Error

Question: My investment property was foreclosed on ten years ago. The house had a first and second mortgages on it. The house was foreclosed on and sold, but the lender for the second mortgage was never notified that I no longer have the house and up to now, they were still reporting me with an active loan. The second mortgage company has now been informed and they are now reporting my loan as a charge off. How did the law office foreclose and sell my home with an active loan on it and not inform the second mortgage company? Do I have any recourse to go after the law firm that foreclosed on my investment property?

Response: A charge off is when the bank writes off a loan and usually ends up selling it to a collection agency. Loans generally get charged off when you haven't paid in a while and there is no more equity in the home for the bank to go after. You can look at your foreclosure papers to notice if the 2nd mortgage holder was put on notice by checking if their address is mentioned there. If a mistake indeed occurred, then the first mortgagee would need to conduct a strict foreclosure, i.e., commencing another foreclosure action and serving only the unnamed defendant. Otherwise, the 1st bank does not have clear title to the property and would not be able to conduct a foreclosure sale. You should definitely write a letter to the three major credit bureaus, reporting a dispute of the reported information and sending them the supporting evidence.

In the legal blog, Attorney Svetlana Kaplun addresses typical questions our firm has received from our clients, or come across from homeowners related to foreclosure, foreclosure defense, loan modification and bankruptcy topics.

The information contained in the legal blog of Attorney Svetlana Kaplun is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject matter. Please read our full disclaimer or contact the Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C. by telephone at 718-444-1115 for more information.
Copyright © 2015 Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C.

modification, making home affordable, hamp, mortgage modification, harp refinance, making homes affordable, modifications, home affordable modification program, home affordable refinance program, hamp program, home loan modification, loan modification guidelines, foreclosures, foreclosure listings, foreclosure homes, mers, foreclosure settlement, foreclosure homes for sale, free foreclosure listings, foreclosure home, deed in lieu of foreclosure, foreclosure process, how foreclosure works, home foreclosure, foreclosure radar, bank foreclosure, home foreclosures, foreclosure listing, hud foreclosure, foreclosure laws, short sale vs foreclosure, stop foreclosure, totally free foreclosure home listings, foreclosure help, free government home foreclosure listing, free listing foreclosure home sale, free foreclosure listings with pictures, fannie mae foreclosure, independent foreclosure review, lawyers, power of attorney, personal injury attorney, attorneys, power of attorney form, durable power of attorney, power of attorney forms, criminal attorney, attorney search, medical power of attorney, free power of attorney, bankruptcy attorney, power of attorney template, power of attorney form download, durable power of attorney form, free power of attorney forms, general power of attorney, free printable power attorney form, lasting power of attorney, tax attorney, free power attorney forms, divorce attorney, ace attorney, disability attorney, attorney jobs, enduring power of attorney, attorney at law, patent attorney, free power of attorney forms to print, real estate attorney, injury lawyer, personal injury lawyer, defense lawyer, criminal defense lawyer, the lawyer, accident lawyer, a lawyer, criminal lawyer, motorcycle accident lawyer, rocket lawyer, bankruptcy lawyer, divorce lawyer, ask a lawyer, find a lawyer, lawyer referral, car accident lawyer, family lawyer, lawyer search, lawyer find, lawyer ratings, lawyer referral service, immigration lawyer, dui lawyer