Friday, December 30, 2011

Speeding up the foreclosure process

Question: My home is in foreclosure and I don't know yet when the mortgage company will take over my home. My homeowners insurance will term next month and the mortgage company should start covering the house through the forced coverage. Given that my family is currently in financial distress, I would like get this home off our backs as soon as possible, since otherwise we could end up with a large financial obligation that we cannot afford. I am looking for suggestions on how to speed up this process.

Response: If your mortgage is under water (i.e. mortgage is greater than the appraised value of your home) and you are not renting any of the space to tenants, then consider contacting the bank to do a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. Basically, you transfer the deed of the property to the bank and you walk away debt-free. It is then the bank's responsibility to sell the property. Generally, the bank may require you to try to do a short-sale first (that is if the mortgage is under water). If you still have equity in your home, then you can always just try selling your home and paying off the debt to the bank. Otherwise, foreclosure process is very lengthy and will take a couple of years to be completed, especially in NY, and then the bank may obtain a deficiency judgment against you for the remaining balance (the difference of what is owed to the bank and what is recovered at foreclosure sale). Call an experienced attorney today to discuss your options.

In the legal blog, Attorney Svetlana Kaplun addresses typical questions our firm has received from our clients, or come across from homeowners related to foreclosure, foreclosure defense, loan modification and bankruptcy topics.

The information contained in the legal blog of Attorney Svetlana Kaplun is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject matter. Please read our full disclaimer or contact the Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C. by telephone at 718-444-1115 for more information.
Copyright © 2015 Law Office of Svetlana Kaplun, P.C.

modification, making home affordable, hamp, mortgage modification, harp refinance, making homes affordable, modifications, home affordable modification program, home affordable refinance program, hamp program, home loan modification, loan modification guidelines, foreclosures, foreclosure listings, foreclosure homes, mers, foreclosure settlement, foreclosure homes for sale, free foreclosure listings, foreclosure home, deed in lieu of foreclosure, foreclosure process, how foreclosure works, home foreclosure, foreclosure radar, bank foreclosure, home foreclosures, foreclosure listing, hud foreclosure, foreclosure laws, short sale vs foreclosure, stop foreclosure, totally free foreclosure home listings, foreclosure help, free government home foreclosure listing, free listing foreclosure home sale, free foreclosure listings with pictures, fannie mae foreclosure, independent foreclosure review, lawyers, power of attorney, personal injury attorney, attorneys, power of attorney form, durable power of attorney, power of attorney forms, criminal attorney, attorney search, medical power of attorney, free power of attorney, bankruptcy attorney, power of attorney template, power of attorney form download, durable power of attorney form, free power of attorney forms, general power of attorney, free printable power attorney form, lasting power of attorney, tax attorney, free power attorney forms, divorce attorney, ace attorney, disability attorney, attorney jobs, enduring power of attorney, attorney at law, patent attorney, free power of attorney forms to print, real estate attorney, injury lawyer, personal injury lawyer, defense lawyer, criminal defense lawyer, the lawyer, accident lawyer, a lawyer, criminal lawyer, motorcycle accident lawyer, rocket lawyer, bankruptcy lawyer, divorce lawyer, ask a lawyer, find a lawyer, lawyer referral, car accident lawyer, family lawyer, lawyer search, lawyer find, lawyer ratings, lawyer referral service, immigration lawyer, dui lawyer